MINT is now accepting 2019 Leap Year Applications!
Leap Year provides a comprehensive and robust system of support for five emerging artists in the Atlanta-Metro area. Through rigorous independent research and insights gleaned from our own experiences, we’ve developed Leap Year to be inclusive of both community and network development along with opportunities for quiet reflection and introspection on personal and career growth.
Leap Year artists are carefully selected via a competitive application process. Our goal is to not only pick the top five applicants, but to provide an inclusive platform that represents a diverse cross section of talent with clear ambitions around their artistic practice.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Are not currently enrolled in a college or university
- Have minimal solo exhibition experience
- Have demonstrated a clear commitment to Atlanta's art community via a range of specific examples
- Are willing to remain in Georgia for the duration of Leap Year
- Ability to commit to 2 to 5 hours per week to Leap Year including studio time, workshops, mentor meetings, community participation, etc.
- Have minimal published arts criticism
- Have received minimal grant/private funding
Each year, the five selected artists will:
- receive free studio space for 6 months
- be paired with one mentor
- Receive a $1,750 stipend per W.A.G.E. (Working Artists in a Greater Economy) to be paid as a 1099 contractor as compensation for the following:
- Four-week Solo Exhibition and creation of the body of work to be presented
- One (minimum) artist talk/performance/discussion/panel in relation to the Solo Exhibition
- Supplies for Exhibit Presentation
- Design and execution of a public art installation
- Participation in a community outreach project
- Receive a 2 week residency (paid for by MINT) at the Hambidge Center for Creative Arts and Sciences
- Participate in studio visits from critics, curators, and visiting artists
- Receive year-long memberships to local arts organizations including:
- C4 Atlanta
- Atlanta Contemporary
- The Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia
Solo Exhibitions take place in June, August, October, December, and February. Each artist will have access to their free studio space beginning six months prior to their respective Solo Exhibition Opening.
For the 2019 Leap Year Program, Solo Exhibitions will be the following dates:
- Artist 1: June 1 - 29, 2018
- Artist 2: August 3 - 31, 2018
- Artist 3: October 5 - November 2, 2018
- Artist 4: December 14, 2018 - January 18, 2019 (please note this exhibition is longer due to MINT's closure between Christmas and New Year's Day)
- Artist 5: February 1 - 29, 2019
There is a required $30 application fee.
Applicants will also be required to submit a link to a Google Drive Folder with 7-10 examples of their work.
Artists will be alerted of their acceptance into the program by December 1, 2018.