We’re pleased to relaunch our Leap Year program, now expanded to support more artists!
Leap Year provides a comprehensive and robust system of support for emerging artists in the Atlanta-Metro area. Through rigorous independent research and insights gleaned from our own experiences, we’ve developed Leap Year to be inclusive of both community and network development along with opportunities for quiet reflection and introspection on personal and career growth.
Leap Year is a one year program split into two, six month sessions. The first six months of the program will be more demanding and focused on the creation of the work for the solo exhibit along visits with mentors, collaborative sessions, and the residency at Hambidge. The second six months will be more community focused with teaching experience and community service as the core.
Each year, the six selected artists will:
- receive free studio space for 6 months
- be paired with one mentor
- Receive a $1,000 stipend
- Attend a 2 week residency at the Hambidge Center for Creative Arts and Sciences
- Participate in studio visits from critics, curators, and visiting artists
- Receive year-long memberships to local arts organizations including:
- C4 Atlanta
- Atlanta Contemporary
- The Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia
- Attend and teach workshops and classes related to creative interests and needs
- Create a body of work to be exhibited in a solo show
While each artist is alerted of their acceptance into the program in late December, the artists will begin the program on a rolling basis. The timeline is as follows:
- Artist 1 – in the studio from January through June, solo exhibit end of June
- Artist 2 – In the studio from March through August, solo exhibit in end of August
- Artist 3 – in the studio from May through October, solo exhibit in end of October
- Artist 4 – in the studio from July through December, solo exhibit in mid December
- Artist 5 – in the studio from September through February, solo exhibit end of February
- Artist 6 – in the studio from November through April, solo exhibit end of April
The timing of each artist’s participation will be finalized based on each artist’s schedule, methods of working, and personal preference.
Leap Year artists are carefully selected via a competitive application process by a panel with a diverse mix of backgrounds, genders, and ethnicities. Our goal is to not only pick the top six applicants, but the applicants who represent a diverse cross section of talent with clear ambitions around their artistic practice.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Are not currently enrolled in a college or university
- Have minimal solo exhibition experience
- Have demonstrated a clear commitment to Atlanta’s art community via a range of specific examples
- Are willing to remain in Georgia for the duration of Leap Year
- Ability to commit to 2 to 5 hours per week to Leap Year including studio time, workshops, mentor meetings, community participation, etc.
- Have minimal published arts criticism
- Have received minimal grant/private funding
There is a $30 application fee that may be paid via paypal to email@example.com or venmo at @MINTAtl.
For the full application, click here.